Wednesday 3 October 2012

Design Process


There are a few key stages that I would go through when doing any design project in order to get to a strong final piece. When getting a design brief I would first read through it to see what the parameters of the final design will be. I would then brainstorm some initial thoughts and ideas in thumbnail sketches, in order to get my first ideas down on paper.

 From my initial ideas I would then start to do research looking at threads or just even elements that feature in my first ideas. I would create boards and mind maps with all the research that I find so that I can look at it all at once rather than having to flick through a book. Doing this would also mean that small thumbnail sketches could then be drawn alongside the research as further design development. From both the thumbnail sketches and the research I would then create a few larger more refined designs in order to be able to start exploring with techniques and materials.

 Depending on what the final outcome of the brief is I would then exploring and experiment with the relevant materials. I would play about with colours, fabric, and typography etc depending on which ones I would incorporate within my final design. From doing this experimentation I would then be able to see what works together in order to create the most effective and refined final outcome.

 From doing all these steps I would then be left with the strongest final design possible based on the brief that I had been given. I would also know what the best materials and colours etc i should use, due to the experimentation I had done, to bring my final design to life.

 Finally I would look at how successful the project had been. I would evaluate the processes that I had gone through to get to the final piece or pieces to see how I could improve it in the next design project that I would do. I would also evaluate how the final piece itself has turned out to see whether I was 100% happy with it and if not what I could do in order to improve it.

I think that having a design process that is something similar to this is important for producing the most refined final piece of work that you can. If working professionally within industry, as well as the previous steps, you would also need to have frequent contact with the client that you are designing for as your piece needs to meet with final design that they are wanting.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment