Saturday 3 November 2012

18th Century Jumper

We got given an old jumper for the base of this project. We had to take it and chop and change bits for a deign that have created for a character from either A Rakes Progress or A Harlots Progress. I chose the same character as the one that I used for the wig which was Moll Hackabout, the main character in A Halots Progress.
These are just the quik initial sketches that I did for this project. The design that I came to are the ones furthest to the right. Obviously I ned to do some more research into this era of dress to have a look at finer detailing. Bits and bobs that will give it a nice finish.
To begin with i just cut straight down the front of the jumper in order for me to be able to fold it over to create the shape that I wanted. I havnt sewn any of it down as if I change the shape of it in my designs, through doing more research, I can then easily change the shape of it.
This shows the next thing that I did to change the jumper into the design that I had created. I created three slits in it, one done the back and one down each of the seams. The length of the cut ends at the point where the waist is the thinest. I cut it up to this point because during the 18th century a laides waist would be made too look thinner by doing this and then adding pleats like the one below to make the bottom look fuller.
Using a thicker material for the pleats works well as it creates structure to a material that otherwise would just drap, which would not be fitting to the early 18th century.
I will have to look at how to breakdown the costume, so that it shows Moll Hackabout's story up to that point,to do this i need to pick which part of the story I am designing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment